People are always keen on how to get a free credit report in America. According to the law, American citizens or persons with permanent residency are entitled to a free annual credit report from the three leading credit reporting companies. Don’t be fooled by imposters requiring you to pay for a credit report. So, where do you get a free credit report in the United States? You can freely ask for one report from TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian and get it instantly. That means you have up to three free reports yearly from the firms.
How to Get a Credit Report for Free
When seeking a mortgage or a loan, borrowers always ask ‘how do I get a free copy of my credit report in the United States. Well, the answer is simple and backed legally by federal law. As noted earlier, you can request one report from each of the three credit reporting firms. There are two ways in which you can receive your report. It could be online or by mail. Here are steps to follow when applying for a credit report.
- Step 1: Visit AnnualCreditReport.com, which is the US government-mandated online platform and the quickest way to get to the three major credit bureaus.
- Step 2: Key in your details as may be required. The information may include your name, birthdate, and social security number, among other details.
- Step 3: Pick the contacts and use one of the three methods to request the report. That is, you can call one of the bureaus and ask for the report, email your request, or visit the bureau’s website and request the report.
- Step 4: Respond to the security questions posed to you correctly. However, this works for an online applicant. If you are having difficulties, probably because you can’t recall answers to the security questions, you better make your request by mail or call.
- Step 5: If you have made your request online, it is time to generate the report, which will be completed instantly. You can save it on the desktop and make a printout later. On the other hand, if you request through the mail or a call, you will have to wait a few minutes before it’s emailed to you or wait for a day or so for mailing.
- Step 6: Read the report and ensure it reflects the correct information. If not, note the errors and report them to the concerned party for correction. That could be your lender or the credit bureau.
- Step 7: Follow the same procedure and download the report again when the disputed areas are corrected. Check to ensure the errors have been rectified before making a printout.
Can I View My Credit Report Online for Free?
It is possible to view your credit report online. That is so, especially for requests made online through a credit bureau’s website. Before printing, there is always an option to view it on your screen. You can then save it, make a printout, or do both. Online credit report requests are always fast and safely deliver the report directly to you. Besides, you can view the report online and then email it to your lender. That’s unlike when it is mailed to you where you will have to resend it to the lender or scan it and then email it.
Can I Request a Credit Report for My Business?
You can go to a credit bureau and request a credit report on your business. However, in the case of a business, you will pay the charges as per the credit bureau firm. That’s because the law only requires the three major companies to give one free annual credit report and score per individual, not for the business. Nevertheless, the charges are affordable for most companies.
Experian charges an annual subscription fee of $179, and the cost for every report ranges from $39.99 to $99. Updating business information takes between 48 and 72 hours after publicizing a new report. On the other hand, Equifax offers businesses a single report for $99.95. However, you can purchase five reports for $399.95 yearly. Besides, you can also enjoy credit monitoring services at a charge of $16.95 per month. On its part, TransUnion charges a subscription fee of $29.95 per month plus any tax that could be applicable.